What Laws Apply to Me?

...in Colleges, Universities, and Technical Schools?

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1998
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

Credit given to: Full Life Ahead

The Law is Different Once I Finish High School

High School

  • I receive accommodations and services under IDEA 2004. (Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act or Section 504 and the ADA)
  • School must provide testing at no cost to determine if I have a disability.
  • School is required to provide the services and accommodations I need.
  • All accommodations and services included in my IEP must be provided at no cost to my parents or me.


  • I must apply for services. I must meet each agency's requirements.
  • I must provide my own documents to prove my disability.
  • I must request accommodations within a reasonable time frame.